Thursday, January 2, 2014

I've got goals, girl.

I've got goals, girl. 

Floyd said that to me in this interview, I wrote it down, and Cincinnati Magazine printed it. In fact, Cincinnati Magazine probably asked me to interview Floyd because he's got goals, girl. 


This is a real thing that has apparently been taped to my fridge since May 18, 2010. (Dear past Alex: Way to go- keep dating shit!)

I've kept another reminder/goal list in various places in my bedroom for several years and, in looking for it just now to use as an example, I turned up my "Thank You" list from Thanksgiving 2009. On it, I noted that items I'm thankful for are listed in no particular order. Number 11 reads: "Goals and dreams- graduate school, volunteering, art classes- plans in general. DOING THINGS." (Underlining and capital letters included as written.)

Clearly, I am all about reflection, self-improvement, and goal-setting. I make short and long-term goals for myself all the time ranging in seriousness and achievability. But, for whatever reason, I've never been big on New Year's resolutions. I don't know if it's because I don't understand waiting to make an important change until the first of the year, or the fact that resolutions are a joke for so many, expected to be broken come February or March. It's not that I have anything against them, I just don't usually partake. But, whatever works, you know? Goals in any form are incredibly important. We have to be able to imagine a better self, a better position, a new level of satisfaction. The sort of hope inherent to goals and the goal-making process is invaluable. Please know that I mean that, truly and deeply. 

So, last night was New Year's Eve, and the closest I'm coming to a resolution this year is a commitment to a dry (meaning alcohol-free) January and an increased frequency of health attempts in the form of good meals at home (thanks E!) and more movement (I refuse to let my yoga pass expire with unused classes). I've been feeling puffy lately and I think this sort of "cleansing" period will help me feel better. God, the word "cleanse" makes me want to barf. I will drink wine again soon and I will enjoy French fries many times this year, but it's a constant goal of mine to take better care of my body and mind. I know a lot of you share this goal. If you think of ways we can encourage each other, I'd love to hear them. 

Now, I'm really interested in your goals. Do you make New Year's resolutions? What's a constant "to do" on your list?

And hey- cheers to 2014. Let's have a beer in February. 

5 comments:

  1. Goals are good to have, but almost better is having a system to get to those goals. At the end of most days, you will not have met your goals. But you can execute your system towards achieving those goals on a daily basis, which tends to be a more satisfying way of going about this business of affecting change in our lives.

    worth a ponder.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I had a dream that you and I were at a mall, and somehow I fell face-first into the (bare?!?) stomach of the owner of Cici's Pizza, which in my dream was a VERY fancy establishment, as he knew Stephen Colbert. You were so horrifically embarrassed by my behavior that you went and hid in the trailer (like the kind that attaches to a truck) that a Romani woman was using to sell doll clothes in the middle of the mall.

    The only way I could get you out was to keep giving you glasses of ice-wine, which Kendall was super amazed by and kept raving about. Then you got drunk and fell off the top shelf, and the Romani woman tried to get you to take some of the normal-person-sized clothes that she had, because she thought you were beautiful and had amazing style. She made it very clear that ONLY you were allowed to have some.

    Just thought you'd like to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dream sounds so strange and wonderful, although I'm completely lost re: analysis. I wish I wrote more of my dreams down when I can remember them. Funny enough-- I don't think I like ice wine...it's too sweet.

      Hope you're enjoying the new year so far.

      xo, AT

      Delete
  3. Happy 2014 Alex :)

    My current 'to do's' also include:
    1. Knowing when to give myself a break, get away from my desk, and eat. Skipping or having a late lunch because of work is no excuse
    2. More experiencing and living, less documenting. I caught myself singing while taking video at a concert and I sound awful haha. So yeah, that shut me up and it's a pretty useless video for anyone else who wants to watch it. Oh, and less this too.
    3. Spending more time with family and friends. My mother-in-law remarked the other day that we've been entertaining less and less compared to years past. I agreed and my husband and I definitely want to work on this. We miss having people over too.

    I've been working on #1 since last spring, #2 for a few months, #3 is fairly new to the list. Staying in will probably be easier on our bank accounts too instead of always going out!

    Hope all is going swimmingly with school and, well, everything :)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina!

      Happy New Year!

      These are really, really good goals. I catch myself watching life happen behind an iphone camera lens way more often than I'd like to admit, and I've been known to skip a meal or three because I'm "too busy." Meal breaks are really important-- thanks for the reminder.

      And, as always, thanks for sharing. Good luck!

      Alex

      Delete